Wednesday, April 28, 2010

A FEW OF MY FAVORITE THINGS-NO MORE!
So, once again my family is up to another weight loss challenge. I need to loose 8% of my body weight by June 14th to be successful and win the big prize. I hate dieting. I would rather exercise for hours a day than eat healthy. I love soda, and bread and condiments. I'm not a huge sugar person but I do love cookies also. I want so badly to loose these extra pounds. So, to all of you runners out there who's blogs I see daily I'm going to challenge myself today to become somewhat of a runner. I know a marathon is not in the cards at this point in my life. I have never been a runner and everytime I start I loose ambition. So for this month the goal is just to run a mile a day. I know for most of you that seems silly and super easy, but for me not so much. If any of you have any suggestions as to what to do to make running more enjoyable and less boring please fill me in. Also, to all of you runners, how do I breathe normal? I feel like my body could run for miles but that my lungs can't cross the street. So, I am going to copy many of you who have made goals on your blogs so that you have people to answer to in a way. Tomorrow I'm going to run a quarter of a mile non stop. Don't laugh! To Chelsea Evans and Katie Harward I blame you both for this decision. I see your blogs and I envy ( bad I know) your dedication to running. I do think that running has become a bit trendy and I notice that marathons are kind of the thing right now, but hey, that's not such a bad bandwagon to jump on-right? So, everyone out there-I need all of your advice on how to turn this unflexible and super non-agressive girl into a runner! cookie dough and homemade rolls
can you say CELESTIAL!

7 comments:

Evans Fam said...

Hey...I can't call myself a legitimate runner anymore. The most I've done in the past year is 4 miles. But...I am trying to get back into it...I just need to get a double-jogging stroller first. Anyway...the first mile is actually always the worst for me...it's after you get past that point that the endorphins really start kicking in and making you feel good. How to enjoy it and have it not be boring...well that's different for everyone. I like running with music sometimes, but mostly I like running with a friend (particularly one who is in better shape than me and will run my slow pace and can talk the whole time, without expecting me to talk too much...it really helps distract me!) and in BEAUTIFUL places...I love trails, rivers, canyons, etc. Don't get me wrong, I don't like huge hills, I just like beauty! I like having a destination (like a beautiful view or a lake or something), which usually is uphill....but then the way back is all downhill! And seriously, give yourself some time to build up the endurance to go 2, 3, 4+ miles. And try a friend...they can be so motivating!

Amber said...

You can do it Natalie! I have run in a half marathon the last two summers and when I started two years ago I couldn't run a mile. I think the best thing to do it sign up for a race, maybe like a 5k to start out with, so you know you have to train. That really helped me stay motivated. Breathing is the hardest part. You just have to figure out how to breath good in a way that you aren't breathing too heavy. I promise you that you can do more than one mile per day once you get going and it does get addicting. Listen to music and find someone else who is running. Even if you don't run together if you can talk about how much you ran that day and push each other it really helps. If I knew my sisters ran 7 miles one day I wanted to run 8 the next day to beat them! The best thing to do is just get out an run and don't give up. It gets easier every day! Keep us posted.

atec said...

So, my version of being healthy is to go walking rather than running. So I can't give you advice on running per se, but I can agree with Chelsia that you've got to make it interesting. When I do actually go running, trails are the best, because it gives something interesting, and sometimes gives a focus ('cause you really have to watch where you're puttin your feet). Then you've run quite far before you realize it.

angie said...

I seriously LOVE LOVE running!! When I started up again after Avarie was born it was HARD!!! I couldn't even run for 10 min straight!! I thought I would never be able to do it again!! I just kept trying and would push myself a little further everyday. Before I knew it I was running 30 min no problem. Then I could run for an hour. I know it is hard to see now but you WILL get there. Spence and I ran the 1/2 marathon in Moab together and it was SO FUN!!! Just keep it up and you will too fall in love with running!!! :0)

btw, I saw your mom, nicole and Alyson within the past week!!! Where were you! :0( I would love seeing you and catching up!!!

Kelsey and Tony said...

Good Luck! I am GOING to fit into this certain dress for a big party at Ton'ys work on JUNE 12!!! Ahhh, the burger I had tonight is not helping! I just have to keep setting little goals for myself and keep beating them - so after your quarter mile, do a half and so on and so on. Also helps to find one of those websites where you can map out your route and know ahead of time where you are going and how long it is. I can't just go run - I have to know how long I'm going for and where or else I stop! Also, I have a little chant sometimes I have to say to myself, which changes with my goal....so right now it's "Dress, hot shoes, dress, hot shoes" Over and over :) Ha! I can't run with people because I'm slow and I can't breath, so therefore, can't talk and it stresses me out to run with someone! Good luck!!!

Reeses Pieces said...

When I train for marathons I definitely like to have a Mtn. Dew in one hand and a sugar cookie in the other....hahaha!!!! You know you'd want me as your partner.

alpinekleins said...

Just making your mind up to do it is half the battle - lots of great advice here - so glad I stopped by! Good luck - I hope you WIN the prize :)

Kristin