Friday, July 9, 2010

"THE GENERAL" retires
Last month my Dad, "THE GENERAL" retired from the military. I think it was a bitter sweet day for him and our family. It was a very patriotic and spiritual afternoon for me. It is always so uplifting and energetic being around a bunch of military men and women. It gives you goosebumps being in their presence. In the morning we gathered for the traditional, official ceremony where my Dad passed the torch to the new General. I know there's a more correct way of saying all of these terms but I'm not sure what that is. All of the base gathered and stood in the hanger at attention as the leaders and those in authority commended and saluted those who were moving on. I know this day was very emotional for my Dad. Besides his family, this has been his life. He has wanted to do this since he was a little boy as his dad did. I know a lot of sacrifices have been made along the way. My Dad has missed many games and recitals. He has missed family parties and evenings just hanging out. We as his family knew the sacrifices and because of our Mom's example we supported him. I know that my Dad will have more spare time now to work on his hobbies and catching up on all of his hundred's of books he's gotten as gifts. Maybe he'll even come fly fish up here in Montana. Whatever it be, I know he'll be good at. My Dad seems to excel at most things. I know one thing for sure, I would n0t have had it any other way. Our family is very patriotic at a time when most are not. We have learned how to be more outgoing and open minded by moving and meeting new people whether in school or at church. We have learned the importance of service. We have learned what it means to sacrifice. We have learned that integrity and hard work are completely important in order to succeed in your career. We have learned that the decisions you make as a child can affect your own children's decision making. What more is there? Oh yeah, we have learned that it's possible to get the house cleaned from the time dad leaves the airport until he gets home. Dad-Congrats!It was like Christmas morning when we left the ceremony. He got so many gidts that I'm glad I don't have to find wall space for.
Love, love, love the pictures
My Dad retiring the colors one last time-very touching

5 comments:

Reeses Pieces said...

The picture of you and Dad is super cute. I'm so bummed I wasn't there. Good thing for blogs I can fill myself in though. I ditto everything you wrote and had to chuckle out loud at the cleaning the house comment. Now I know why we're all super fast cleaners...well some of us, okay just us girls haha!!!

Grandma Shauna said...

You should have left my pictures off. It always makes me want to cry to see how fat I am.

brittanimae said...

What an exciting, yet bittersweet time for your dad! He's always sort of awed me with his military ways--how fun for you to be able to keep him around more now!

lacey said...

Thank you for your Dad. Thanks can not be said enough. And for Shauna too ;)

Janelle said...

Natalie, it's Robbe Lehmann, I wanted to tell you and Nicole some time ago about a visit I made to a new member of our ward. As the EQ presidency we went over to welcome a new woman to the ward (she had married a guy who was already in the ward). No sooner than she got married her daughter, a member of the Utah Air National Guard, died in her sleep. She obviously went back to Utah for the funeral, etc. She told us just how impressed they were with how the military treated her. She told me she was very impressed by the general who took extra special care of her needs and told her to call him for anything she needed. Knowing your dad was a general I asked her if it was General Hooper. She said yes. She was very grateful to him and everything he did to make a tragic time more bearable.

I know I'm posting this late-- I don't look at people's blogs too often-- but congrats to your dad on a career well done!